The National Space Society (NSS) is an independent, international, educational, grassroots, non-profit and non-partisan organization devoted to the creation of a spacefaring civilization. It supports the exploration and development of space for the benefit of humanity. Founded in 1974, NSS is widely acknowledged as the preeminent citizen’s voice on space. NSS counts thousands of members and more than 50 chapters worldwide. The Society also publishes Ad Astra magazine, an award-winning periodical chronicling the most important developments in space. For more information about NSS, visit www.nss.org.
Contact Information for NSS is linked to in the footer of every page on this site.
- NSS Vision: “People living and working in thriving communities beyond the Earth, and the use of the vast resources of space for the dramatic betterment of humanity.”
- NSS Mission: “to promote social, economic, technological, and political change in order to expand civilization beyond Earth, to settle space and to use the resulting resources to build a hopeful and prosperous future for humanity.”
- NSS Rationale Why Our Mission is Important: Survival, Growth, Prosperity, and Curiosity
- NSS Principles What Does NSS Stand For?
- NSS Beliefs What Does NSS Support?
- NSS Roadmap to Space Settlement
NSS Organization and Leadership
NSS leadership is provided by a member-elected, all-volunteer Board of Directors that provides strategic direction for the Society, and a Board-elected Executive Committee (Officers) that manages the functions of the Society and oversees a number of supporting operating committees.Â The NSS President and Chairman of the NSS Board of Directors is Mr. Kirby Ikin. If you are interested in participating as a Director of the society, nomination guidelines and petition forms are available.
Our Board of Governors and Board of Advisors provide additional expertise and visibility. The Chairman of the Board of Governors is Mr. Hugh Downs, former host of ABC’s 20/20. The Board of Governors includes Dr. Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11 astronaut, Tom Hanks, Norman Augustine, General Simon “Pete” Worden, and many other notable figures.
The operations of the society require the assistance of operating committees, chapters, and other volunteers. If you are interested in volunteer work with one of the committees, please fill out the Online Volunteer Form. Local volunteer work is generally performed through chapters: check our chapters listings to find a chapter near you, or organize a new chapter.
The NSS Corporate Documents are the set of governing documents of the Society that establish the organizational structure and describe the roles, responsibilities, and operating procedures of the NSS leadership.
NSS FINANCIAL INFORMATION